or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Iain DawsonIain Dawson commented  · 

For reference: the feed is at http://www.japanator.com/?t=podcast&mode=atom, but it's just a filtered article feed. It contains in-article links (not in the iTunes enclosure format) to mediafire pages from which one can download the MP3s. Generating a podcast feed is therefore not an automatable process, unless you wish to scrape either Mediafire or MixCloud.

I look forward to your libsyn feed with great anticipation and apologise for my shitty non-existant research.

• Josh TolentinoJosh Tolentino commented  · 

I'm actually not as privy to the actual details of the podcast feed, but we do have an RSS for the podcast posts themselves. In the meantime, we're working on getting our Libsyn account up and running, which should help us get on iTunes, at which point you should be able to add it in the manner you wish.

I don't want to download podcasts over 3G. I don't think many people do. This is the whole point. I want my phone to download them while I sleep on wi-fi and have them ready for me when I wake up. It does this already for the podcasts I currently subscribe to. Personally, I don't care if the podcast is actually in the iTunes store — I don't use iTunes and iTunes can add non-iTunes podcasts anyway. The point here is not that you're not on iTunes, per se, it's that you don't provide a podcast RSS feed.

If you're capable of hosting MP3s (which you already do, I'm sorry for stating otherwise) and capable of hosting an RSS feed (which you do), you're all set up to start pumping out a proper podcast by setting up another dedicated feed with minimal effort.

I can not fathom why you have not done this. Is it a bandwidth issue? Who does it benefit to not take this last step? Would you object if someone else started scraping your main RSS feed for articles with Japanator AM in the title and hosting their own RSS feed with iTunes enclosures pointing to your MP3s?

• Josh TolentinoJosh Tolentino commented  · 

@Iain Dawson

Note that the definition you provided does not specify anything about mobile internet, just the internet. It's unfortunate that Japanator AM's files are too large for most mobile networks to download via 3G, but that's the fault of carriers, not us.

And Japanator AM is very much a podcast, since you can download it to your computer and media player via Wi-Fi, wired connection, or especially high-bandwidth mobile internet connections. The difference there is that it isn't on iTunes (yet). And even if it were, the file sizes would be too large for most carriers to accept via 3G.

According to the OED:

podcast
        noun
        a multimedia digital file made available on the Internet for downloading to a portable media player, computer, etc.

Your sequence of long-form audio releases is not downloadable and therefore is not a podcast.

This is not nitpicking — your lack of an RSS feed makes it impossible to listen to your “podcast” in the same way as one would listen to any other podcast on the planet. People without near-unlimited and completely reliable mobile network connections are unable to listen to your podcasts on the go. For people who listen to podcasts on their commute which goes through a tunnel or is in a subway system or on a plane, your “podcast” is simply not an option.

There's a reason podcasts as they are are as popular as they are. Their downloadability makes them flexible, portable and reliable. Mixcloud is none of these things.

Feedback and Knowledge Base